Contact me: email@example.com
(I am also the editor of Kristian Alva's Dragon Stones Saga)
Assistant Professor, English, August 2011-present
Richard Bland College, Petersburg, Va.
ENG 100: Developmental English
ENG 101: Writing and Research
ENG 102: Introduction to Literary Genres
ENG 299: Professional Writing
Self-Employed Writer/Editor, 2008-present
Written for national publications, along with content ghostwriting. Edited a variety of texts for individuals and companies. Edited materials include short fiction, novels, college entrance essays, ebooks, textbooks, and articles, to name a few.
Adjunct Faculty, January 2007-May 2011
Blue Ridge Community College, Weyers Cave, Va.
Taught ENG 111 and 112, BRCC’s composition courses, as part of the English Department.
Adjunct Faculty, August 2007-December 2010
James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
Taught GWRTC 103, JMU’s first-year composition course, as part of the School of Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication.
Grant Writer, June 2010-July 2011
Edith J. Carrier Arboretum and Botanical Gardens at JMU, Harrisonburg, Va.
Researched grant opportunities and wrote proposals seeking funds for educational, horticultural, environmental, wellness, and other projects.
Managing Editor, July 2005-August 2007
The Journals, Harrisonburg, Va.
Wrote, edited, took pictures, designed pages, and managed the daily operation of three weekly newspapers in the Shenandoah Valley.
Chronicle of Higher Education Blog
· Regular blogger for The Chronicle’s 2-Year Track blog.
· I have self-published six ebooks, two of which are also available in paperback. Some are fiction and some are nonfiction. Most notable are Same Track, Different Track, a memoir of sorts, and Evolvement, a collection of short stories. I am also the publisher for Alex Kudera’s novella, The Betrayal of Times of Peace and Prosperity.
· “A Novel Departure: Book Review of Fight for Your Long Day,” Academe, Jan./Feb. 2010 http://www.aaup.org/AAUP/pubsres/academe/2011/JF/br/br3.htm
· “Dear Adjuncts: Don’t Get Sick,” Inside Higher Ed.com, July 2010
· “An Adjunct’s Summer Plight,” The Chronicle Review, June 2010
· “If Colleges Valued Students, They’d Value Adjuncts,” The Chronicle Review, October 2009
· “Twelve Years from Then,” 540, 2008
· “History of Hands,” ByLine Magazine, February 2008
· “Contact Forgiveness,” ByLine Magazine, April 2007
· Co-editor, Collegiate Strategy, January and February issues, 2011.
· Regular contributor to the lifestyle magazine Around Harrisonburg, 2011.
· “When’s the Best Time to Get Married,” Engagement 101 Magazine, December 2010
· “Regional Vignette: Lost River Craft Co-op,” The Crafts Report, November 2009
· “Crafters on the Verge,” The Crafts Report, July 2009
· Film Reviewer, FilmMonthly.com, Nov. 2008-Feb. 2009
· “5 Universal Writing Rules,” ProBlogger.com, 13 Feb. 2009
· “Regional Vignette: Sunspot Studios,” The Crafts Report, November 2008
· “Profile in Success: Workshops of Charles Neil,” The Crafts Report, 2007
· “Insight Gained: Braithwaite Studios,” The Crafts Report, 2006
· In four years as staff writer and then editor of The Journals, three weekly newspapers in the Shenandoah Valley, I wrote more than one hundred feature or news articles, winning two Virginia Press Association awards for writing (and one for page design).
Master of Arts, English (creative writing concentration)
James Madison University, graduated June 2005
Bachelor of Arts, English (creative writing minor)
James Madison University, graduated June 2002
Richard Bland College mini-grant, 2013. For the purchase of a video camera and accessories for use in the classroom.
Madison Teaching Fellow, James Madison University, 2007-08
“Feature Portfolio,” Virginia Press Association, 2007
“Feature Story Writing,” Virginia Press Association, 2006
“Combination Picture/Story,” Virginia Press Association, 2006 (joint award)